Saturday 20 April 2013

Distant Relatives

This has quickly become one of my favourite albums. Released in 2010, Distant Relatives sees the fusion of hip hop and reggae by the genre's leading artists, Nas and Damien Marley. The above video gives their view on the album in which Damien states that he hopes that the record will "inspire interest in Africa". It also features little schnippets of the songs, so you can get a feel for the (awesome) music. I could listen to Damien's accent all freaking day.

I think one of the main reasons why I adore this album so much is because it takes me back to Tanzania. African elements are at the forefront of the musicality as well as the lyrics, with the ancestry and poverty of the continent having an influence over each song. There is even the line "Habari ghani, Mzuri sana" which is spoken in the African language of Kiswahili, a phrase we were greeted with everyday.

I strongly urge you to purchase Distant Relatives if you're a fan of the heavy beats of hip hop and the feel-good rhythm of reggae. Even if you don't, the album's proceeds go to a project in Africa so it is a worthwhile cause.

1 comment:

  1. My brother introduced me to this album and it quickly became one of my faves! So goo to see a blog post about this. You should check out the song 'I can' by Nas, if you havent done so already - another great song by him :)
    Saadiya x

    www.thatgirlsaadiya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thankyou for taking the time to comment!
oh gosh, i get way too excited.